Yigong Shi Ph.D.
Professor | Academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences| Foreign Associate of the US National Academy of Sciences| Honorary Foreign Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
1985-1989Department of Biological Science and Biotechnology, Tsinghua University B.S.
1990-1995The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Ph.D.
1995The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Postdoc.
1996-1997Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Postdoc.
1998-2001Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University Assistant Professor
2001-2003Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University Associate Professor (Tenured)
2003-2007Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University Professor
2007-2008Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University Warner-Lambert/Parke-Davis Professor
2008-PresentSchool of Life Sciences, Tsinghua University Professor
Main Reaearch Fields
Combining structural biology, biochemical and biophysical approaches to elucidate the molecular and chemical basis of fundamental cellular events. We are particularly interested in the structural mechanisms of macromolecular machineries represented by spliceosome-catalyzed pre-mRNA splicing and regulation of cell death, as well as the mechanism of regulated intramembrane proteolysis with a focus on the structure and function of γ-secretase, a 4-component membrane complex that is associated with the development of Alzheimer's disease.
Selected Publications1. Guanghui Yang, Rui Zhou, Xuefei Guo, Chuangye Yan, Jianlin Lei, Yigong Shi# (2021). Structural basis of γ-secretase inhibition and modulation by small molecule drugs. Cell, 184(2):521-533.
2. Gaoxingyu Huang, Yanqing Zhang, Xuechen Zhu, Chao Zeng, Qifan Wang, Qiang Zhou, Qinghua Tao, Minhao Liu, Jianlin Lei, Chuangye Yan and Yigong Shi# (2020). Structure of the cytoplasmic ring of the Xenopus laevis nuclear pore complex by cryo-electron microscopy single particle analysis. Cell Research, 30(6):520–531.
3. Rui Zhou, Guanghui Yang, Xuefei Guo, Qiang Zhou, Jianlin Lei, Yigong Shi# (2019). Recognition of the amyloid precursor protein by human γ-secretase. Science, 363(6428):eaaw0930.
4. Guanghui Yang, Rui Zhou, Qiang Zhou, Xuefei Guo, Chuangye Yan, Meng Ke, Jianlin Lei & Yigong Shi# (2019). Structural basis of Notch recognition by human γ-secretase. Nature, 565(7738):192-197.
5. Rui Bai, Ruixue Wan, Chuangye Yan, Jianlin Lei, Yigong Shi# (2018). Structures of the fully assembled Saccharomyces cerevisiae spliceosome before activation. Science, 360(6396):1423-1429.
6. Xiechao Zhan, Chuangye Yan#, Xiaofeng Zhang, Jianlin Lei, Yigong Shi# (2018). Structure of a human catalytic step I spliceosome. Science, 359(6375): 537-545.
7. Xiaofeng Zhang, Chuangye Yan#, Jing Hang, Lorenzo I. Finci, Jianlin Lei, and Yigong Shi# (2017). An atomic structure of the human spliceosome. Cell, 169(5):918-929.
8. Rui Bai, Chuangye Yan, Ruixue Wan, Jianlin Lei, and Yigong Shi# (2017). Structure of the Post-catalytic Spliceosome from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Cell, 171(7):1589-1598.
9. Chuangye Yan, Ruixue Wan, Rui Bai, Gaoxingyu Huang, Yigong Shi# (2016). Structure of a yeast catalytically activated spliceosome at 3.5 Å resolution. Science, 353(6302):904-911.
10. Ruixue Wan, Chuangye Yan, Rui Bai, Gaoxingyu Huang, Yigong Shi# (2016). Structure of a yeast catalytic step I spliceosome at 3.4 Å resolution. Science, 353(6302):895-904.
11. Chuangye Yan, Jing Hang, Ruixue Wan, Min Huang, Catherine C. L. Wong, Yigong Shi# (2015). Structure of a yeast spliceosome at 3.6-angstrom resolution. Science, 349(6253):1182-1191.
12. Jing Hang, Ruixue Wan, Chuangye Yan, and Yigong Shi# (2015). Structural basis of pre-mRNA splicing. Science, 349(6253):1191-1198.
13. Mengying Zhou, Yini Li, Qi Hu, Xiaochen Bai, Weijiao Huang, Chuangye Yan, Sjors H. W. Scheres#, and Yigong Shi# (2015). Atomic structure of the apoptosome: mechanism of cytochrome c- and dATP-mediated activation of Apaf-1. Genes & Development, 29(22):2349-2361.
14. Peilong Lu, Xiao-chen Bai, Dan Ma, Tian Xie, Chuangye Yan, Linfeng Sun, Guanghui Yang, Yanyu Zhao, Rui Zhou, Sjors H. W. Scheres# & Yigong Shi# (2014). Three-dimensional structure of human γ-secretase. Nature, 512(7513): 166-170.
15. Shiqian Qi, Yuxuan Pang, Qi Hu, Qun Liu, Hua Li, Yulian Zhou, Tianxi He, Qionglin Liang, Yexing Liu, Xiaoqiu Yuan, Guoan Luo, Huilin Li, Jiawei Wang, Nieng Yan#, and Yigong Shi# (2010). Crystal structure of the Caenorhabditis elegans apoptosome reveals an octameric assembly of CED-4. Cell, 141(3):446-457.